Todays’ topic deals “How to Update Tomtom Gps Maps“. Now, coming onto the tomtom definition. TomTom is the product of a Dutch company offering GPS navigation software and devices, digital maps, Sports Watches, Action Cameras, and related services across the various countries of Europe and America. The company founded in 1991 and has its headquarters in Amsterdam.
How to Update Tomtom Gps Map?
Time needed: 5 hours and 5 minutes.
TomTom offers new cards every quarter. To take advantage of this, it is necessary to install MyDrive Connect or TomTom Home software on your personal computer and then connect your GPS. To successfully update, follow these steps:
1. Connect to your computer to start your GPS;
2. Your software usually opens automatically. If necessary, click on the icon;
3. Check now for the latest updates available;
4. Then select the card to install or update.
- Step 1.
Launch the TomTom HOME software, found in your Mac’s “Applications” folder or in your Windows “Start” menu. If you don’t have TomTom HOME installed, download and install it for free from TomTom’s official Web page.
- Step 2.
Connect your TomTom device to your computer. Connection methods vary by device. Typically, use your device’s included syncing cable attached to an open USB port on your computer. If you are unsure, consult your device’s user manual.
- Step 3.
Press the gray “Update my device” icon at the top of the TomTom HOME software screen. The software will connect with TomTom’s online server to see if your device’s software and maps need an update. A list of any applicable updates will be displayed.
- Step 4.
Click “Update and Install.” The software will automatically download and install the updates to your TomTom device. Wait for the TomTom HOME software to complete the installation process before proceeding.
- Step 5.
Disconnect your device. Click “Devices” at the top of the TomTom HOME screen and select “Disconnect Device” from the drop-down menu. Unplug the device from its syncing cable and resume use.
To update the TomTom map, follow these instructions-
- Install TomTom home on your computer. Then, connect the computer with the navigation device.
- After that, log in to your TomTom account.
- Click on the Tools menu and then go to ‘Use the Latest Map Guarantee’ option.
- If a newer version of the map is available, then it displayed on the screen. Further, if you are in the first 90day period after purchasing a new device. The notification of the newer updates sent to your email id.
Step To Update Gps Maps
For updating the navigation device, the following steps need to be followed. You need to use either ‘My Drive Connect’ or ‘TomTom HOME’, for this. To know which program needs to be used for updating the maps in your device, go to ‘What program do I need to update my device?’
With My Drive Connect– If you are using My Drive Connect, then follow these steps to update TomTom map
- Ensure that you are using the latest version of My Drive Connect, on the computer.
- Connect the navigation device to the computer. Switch on the device.
- My Drive Connect will then automatically search for any newer updates for the navigation device. This will be offered through the Latest Map Guarantee.
- After that, click Continue and follow the given instructions on the screen. This will download the new update on the device.
- After the installation is complete, the page gets redirected to My Content page. The status at this time on My Drive Connect changes to ‘Connected’. After seeing the ‘Connected’ status and the message that the installation has completed, disconnect the navigation device from the computer.
- Now, the device can be used with the latest maps.
Also, there is a facility of Map Share in the latest devices which allows you to make changes on your map while navigating. You can also report the online map changes and can even share the map with the millions of users, online.
The second method To Update Tomtom Gps Free
Except for MapShare, there are several other independent projects which are trying to provide free maps for TomTom using Open Street Maps that we have talked about. Open Street Maps are free maps that are constantly updated by supporters, more on this project you can read here.
A project which offers free updated Raster maps (using OSM) for TomTom, is ttMaps.
This app offers raster maps, route creation, route adjustments and warns us if the route isn’t being followed. Moreover, with this software’s help, you can import and use Google Earth’s (Maps) registered routes in GPS format. There is no turn-by-turn guide or other complex features. It can be installed on an SD card and run alongside the original software on the TomTom device.
Finally, the last option to get free TomTom maps is the Android or iPhone smartphone app. If we own a good smartphone or an iPhone then maybe it is time we give up the outdated classic navigator and purchase the TomTom app for phones.
So, these were the steps to update TOMTOM GPS. If you are unable to update the tomtom map then call us on 1-888-272-9758.