Mac updates are really important for your mac to work properly and it adapts to the latest changes. Here, You will know, how to Update Mac to Latest Version of macOS.
Before updating you need to know which version you have and them and for you need to do this:
Check MAC Version on Your macOS
- Click the Apple icon in the top left corner.
- Choose About this Mac.
- There you have it, in capital letters.
- Now, to update your mac the method suggested by apple is given below:
- Firstly, Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then click on the Software Update to check for updates.
- If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them. Or click “More info” to see details about each update and select specific updates to install.
- When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, the installed version of macOS and all of its apps are also up to date. That includes Safari, iTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.
To find updates for iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and other apps that were downloaded separately from the App Store, open the App Store on your Mac, then click the Updates tab.
How you Update your mac?
It is suggested to clean the mac before you use it. It is the best way to get updates without any error. Follow the below steps to
- Firstly, Download CleanMyMac X free version.
- After it gets downloaded then, launch it.
- Remember to hit Scan to find all the extra files you can delete.
- Lastly, press Run.
This will help monitor the health of your mac. It is advised to do this even after updating.
You need to back up your important data so that you make sure you have all your information and files saved up neatly, you need a backup. To back up your Mac, you need to activate Time Machine.
Create Your MAC Backup
- Open your Applications folder.
- Choose a Time Machine.
- “Select Backup Disk…”
Note: You may need to first choose to “Set Up Time Machine.”
- Choose where you’d like to store your backup.
- Both an external drive or an Airport Time Capsule fit.
Update MAC Manually:
- Firstly, open the App Store app on your Mac.
- Now search and click Updates in the App Store menu.
- Then, Use the Update buttons to download and install any updates listed.
- When the App Store shows no more updates, the installed version of macOS and all of its apps are up to date. That includes Safari, iTunes, iBooks, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime. Later versions may be available by upgrading your macOS.
It is difficult that always we have to do this for every update so to automatically download updates in the future, first choose the Apple menu and then go to System Preferences and then click App Store, then select Download available updates in the background.
Steps to Update Mac from Older Version
But if you are running High Sierra or you have an older version you will need to do the following:
- Basically, you have to launch the App Store on your Mac
- Search for macOS, or you can also directly go and search for your required type of update.
- Click on Get (older versions of the App Store might have a Download button).
- Then, Fill out your Apple ID information if prompted.
- The Installer will start to download, you can see how long it will take if you look at the bar under Downloading.
- Once the installer file has downloaded a window will pop up on your Mac telling you and asking you to Continue… The Installer file can be found in Applications
Since the download happens in the background, so you can continue to work or surf the web. And it will automatically open.
When we started downloading Catalina our Mac, it takes a lot of time so be patient and check power and internet connections.
Follow these Methods if Mac Stopped Updating or Hanged
Now, while waiting suddenly your mac has stopped updating and hanged this state is called frozen mac. In this case, your mac won’t continue the work and for this, you need to follow the bellow methods to solve Mac stopped Updating:
Method 1: Disable File Vault
Disable file vault: while doing the updates sometimes this might cause problems and it may damage the security of data information and other files. So, disable the file vault before starting the updates.
Click the Apple menu and then choose System Preferences. In this dialog box click on Security & Privacy, in this you will find the FileVault, then click “Turn Off FileVault.”
Method 2: Update in safe mode:
Safe mode is inbuilt and this is best for any updates. This is the simplest method. For this, shut down the pc and reboot it in safe mode.
Method 3: Mac Won’t Update to Latest Version Fixed
If the update still won’t complete, we can download macOS from the Internet and give the install another shot. Instead of trying to fix the existing hiccup, we would be effectively starting over with the update.
- You can press and hold the power button to turn off the Mac.
- Later, again press and hold the power button to turn it back on.
- Now, press Command + R to enter recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, connect to the Internet. You’ll need to click the Wi-Fi symbol located at the top-right of the menu. Preferably, do this from a home network.
- After this, you can download the most current version of macOS and reinstall the version which you want.
This allows you to solve issues and makes your system work perfectly. But, use this method only if there is no other alternative.
By the above techniques to update the mac with the solutions to the errors.