Table of Contents
Mac keeper is a utility software in mac which checks and handles your online popup advertisements. Follow the steps given below to Uninstall Mackeeper from MAC Laptop & Desktop.
Procedure to Uninstall Mackeeper
As per the information from the MacKeeper’s website, the steps are: first, quit the app and then just drag it to the trash. If you’re running an older version of MacKeeper, you may need to remove its menu bar icon first and then start off with the steps.
- From the Apple menu, choose Go and then select Applications option.
- In the window that pop-ups, double-click on the Mackeeper icon.
- From the MacKeeper menu, now choose Preferences.
- A new dialog box opens, in that click General.
- Now, you will have to Uncheck the box for Show MacKeeper icon in the menu bar.
- Here is the picture of the above step,
- Now, from the Mackeeper menu choose Quit.
- Drag the Mackeeper app icon from the Applications window to the Trash.
- Before that, a pop up will appear asking you to enter the user name and password.
- Enter an administrator password twice when prompted.
Your Mac may open a web browser window for a MacKeeper survey that asks you to select a reason why you want to uninstall mackeeper.
Even after this, you do not completely uninstall mackeeper from the system. We know that every app spreads a bunch of supporting files, Mackeeper also spreads a bunch of support files in several different locations on your computer. Hence while uninstall Mackeeper might not remove all the files of them, particularly if you have an older installation of the app.
Uninstall Mackeeper Completely using Malwarebytes
You have to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. If you choose to install Malwarebytes, launch it and do this:
- Click the Scan button.
- In the sheet that appears, check the box for any software that you would like to delete and click Confirm.
- After the process is finished, you will have to restart your Mac.
How to Remove Mackeeper Files using Malwarebytes?
Sometimes even Malwarebytes may not get all of MacKeeper’s supporting files. Then, the only way to do this is you should remove all files in the Library folder in your home directory to make sure they are all gone.
- Firstly, in the Finder’s Go menu, you will have to choose the Go to Folder option.
- A dialog box will open and in the dialog box that appears, you will have to type ~/Library and then, click Go. This will open the Library folder which is normally hidden by default in your home directory.
- If you find a folder named MacKeeper Backups, you should drag it to the Trash.
- There are some other files still left, for that, you will have to again scroll through your Library folder and open the Application Support folder. If you find any files or folders with MacKeeper in its name, delete them to the recycle bin.
- Scroll through your Library folder and open the Caches folder. If you find files named com.mackeeper.MacKeeper, com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.Helper, or any other files or folders with MacKeeper in their name, drag them to the Trash.
- From the Finder menu, choose Empty Trash… and Empty the Trash if prompted.
As all of us being observing that frequently installing MacKeeper will result in Safari extensions and cookies also being installed automatically and the prodding to install MacKeeper as well as other ads may keep appearing and disturbing you will you are online.
Remove Safari Extensions
If you find any of the issues mentioned below then you have the problem on the mac keeper being an extension in a web browser.
- Some advertisements appear in unwanted times should not be.
- Your web browser’s homepage has suddenly changed without your permission.
- The Web pages that you typically visit are not displaying properly.
- The Website links keep on redirecting to sites different from what you expected.
- Browser popups appear which recommend fake updates or other software which are absolutely trash.
- Other unwanted programs might get installed without your knowledge.
The latest version of macOS contains a built-in tool that will remove known unwanted adware and malware when you restart your Mac. But the older versions need this to be sorted. The first method is to update or install the latest version of the mackeeper and if that doesn’t work, here is the way to solve this issue:
How to Update Mackeeper to Latest Version?
- Firstly, you will have to go to the Apple menu, choose Force Quit from the drop-down list.
- In the window that appears, select Safari and click Force Quit.
- You will have to relaunch Safari while holding down the Shift key on the keyboard. This will prevent any windows that were open when you force quit Safari from reopening.
- Go to the Safari menu, and you have to choose Preferences.
- Now, Click on the Extensions.
- Now, In the list that appears, select any extensions that you don’t recognize and click Uninstall for each of them.
- Click on the Privacy option.
- Then, Click Manage Website Data.
- Now a sheet appears and in that sheet, enter MacKeeper in the Search box to show any data related to MacKeeper and click Remove All.
- Finally, close the Preferences window and from the Safari menu, choose Quit Safari and restart your Mac.
This is the process to remove extensions from any web browser like a safari.
How to Stop Pop-ups in Google Chrome Mac?
Open Chrome, go to the Window and then select the Extensions option. Now, you will see chrome displaying the list of the extensions that you have installed.
If you see extensions you didn’t install and want to remove, click on the Remove button for that extension. This removes some unnecessary extensions which are also responsible for the popups.
After that, you will have to go to the setting in the chrome and in the Settings menu, click Advanced, then Look for Clear browsing data at the bottom of the Privacy and security section. Click it, and a Clear the browsing data pop-up window appears click it and select All time. Click the Clear Data button. This stops all the popups including ones related to mackeeper.
These are the ways to get rid of the mac keeper.