Factory settings are also called master settings or a hard reset that can Reset Windows operating system to Factory Settings (its original state) by erasing all of the information stored on the device in an attempt to restore the device to its original manufacturer settings.
You do this when you are not getting proper performance from the system, repeated error messages, etc.
Reset Windows 10 to factory settings.
This has a lot of disadvantages if not taken proper steps like you might lose files. If your pc is a new one then you just need to clear all the junk files in it using Microsoft refresh tool. Follow this procedure carefully if yours is not a new one so that you won’t lose files and get your pc restored to factory settings.
- First, click the Start Menu and select the gear icon to open up the Settings window. Or you can even type Settings in the search bar and click when it appears.
- Second, Under Settings, click Update & Security to continue.
- Third, Click the Recovery tab and select “Get started” under Reset this PC.
Now, if you’re looking to recover your instance of Windows 10 from an external source, you may want to look into a Recovery Drive. This can help you from losing data.
To start, you can either choose to keep your files and only remove downloaded apps, or you can wipe everything and start from scratch.
Now, based on your requirement decide which type of reset you want.
Finally, click “Reset” in order to make the reset final. Your computer will restart, and after several minutes, it will boot back up again. When you return to Windows 10, you’ll see that whatever you selected to be removed has been wiped from the machine.
Reset Windows PC to Factory Settings
Let us see how to set windows 10 to factory settings without a password.
- Press and hold on the “Shift” key, click on the Power button, and then click on “Restart“. Wait till it restarts.
- On the Choose an option screen, click on “Troubleshoot“.
- On the Troubleshoot screen, click on “Reset this PC“.
- Select your user account, enter the password, and then click on “Continue“. If no password set on the user account, click on Continue directly.
- Click on “Reset” to begin the Windows 10 factory restore process.
This is the method which we do by the help of password, but without a password is here:
Firstly, you need to open the laptop and while pressing the “Shift” key on your keyboard down, click on the Power icon on the screen and then select Restart. Wait until it restarts.
Steps to Reset Windows 10 To Factory Settings:
Then, after a while of keeping the Shift key pressed, this screen will pop up:
Choose the Troubleshoot option and hit Enter. You will get to this next screen:
Then choose “Remove Everything” on the following screen:
Remember: Don’t try doing “Keep my files” option as it will ask you for the account password which you are not having.
In this process, you may lose all the files related to your login account.
After you choose that option first, the computer will reboot immediately, and then give you these two options:
Choose whatever option fits you the best, based on your files and data and the computer should start resetting:
It will do a few numbers of the reboots, you will be presented with a fresh install of Windows 10 in your pc.
Follow the configuration wizard after that.
Having resetting pc without password in that Microsoft has added the option of resetting a computer to default settings without knowing the current account password.
Sometimes, which factory resetting to windows can get stuck and needed to be solved. Here are issues and solutions for solving them.
When you are resetting with your pc to the restore point and it doesn’t occur then follow the given guidelines to solve the issue.
Create a Windows Restore Point:
This makes your computer back to an earlier point in time, also known as a system restore point, generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, or when you create a restore point manually. now, for this you have to:
- Right-click Start
- Select Control Panel
- In the control panel search box, search for recovery options.
- You will find it in the search results.
- Click on open system restore.
- Click Next
- Choose the restore point that is related to the problem-causing app, driver, or update then select Next and Finish.
Now, here comes the problem. If you don’t see any restore points, then your system protection is off, so do you have to turn it on so follow the procedure:
- Right-click Start
- Select Control Panel
- Search for Recovery
- Select Recovery waits until it opens advanced recovery tools.
- Click Configure System Restore and when it opens.
- Select Configure
- In the system protection for local disk C, Select Turn on system protection
Now, repeat reset of pc through the control panel method and see the restore point and click on it and you will find the system rebooting itself and after some time your system will be reset to factory settings.
These are the methods to do a factory reset windows 10.
How to factory reset windows 7?
In previous Windows versions, this wasn’t possible without using an external disk or USB to reset the password, and if you needed to reinstall the operating system you needed to have the product key to activate it. Now every computer is digitally registered through the Internet so there is no need to keep the product keys around.
Firstly, Run System Restore from Safe Mode. This is a must to avoid unnecessary problems while resetting.
Before you begin, remember that you can’t undo a restore if you run it from Safe Mode hence, store the data somewhere else but not in pc like USB, cd, etc.
The instructions are:
- Turn on the computer
- Immediately, press and hold the F8 key.
- When a new screen is displayed with options, At the Advanced Boot Options screen, choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- After that, press Enter
- Now, Log in as Administrator
- When Command Prompt appears, in the command prompt type this command:rstrui.exe
- And then, Press Enter
- Now, Follow the wizard instructions to continue with System Restore.
This ensures that you have completely Reset Windows pc to factory settings.
There is another method to the factory reset your pc that is through the cd/installation disk.
If you have the Windows 7 installation disc available, you can use it to perform a repair of your computer (and attempt to fix potential issues), a restore if System Restore is enabled, or to reinstall Windows 7.
Firstly, Run Startup Repair or System Restore from the disc
- Start the computer.
- Immediately, press and hold the F8 key
- A new screen will appear and at Advanced Boot Options, this time choose to Repair Your Computer
- Now, Press Enter
- You have to select a keyboard language and click Next.
- If prompted, log in with an administrative account.
- At the System Recovery Options, choose System Restore or Startup Repair based on your system allowances to you.
- Lastly, Follow the wizard instructions to continue with any of the above.
This will reboot your system and you will have to wait till everything gets reset.
There is a problem with this method of reset that is you can’t reset before the installation date given if you do so then this may prevent you from starting windows 7.
Sometimes, while you are resetting any windows like 10, 7, 8, etc your computer might get stuck, never shut down or anything except wait till your system responds to you or else there might be a problem that your system might take long hours or even leave it overnight.
Reset Windows 7 To Factory Settings:
There can be another issue related to the endless reboot loop in windows 10. For this, while your pc is downloading the updates your internet connection is not continuous. This means your Internet connection is interfering with the process. Your computer might have gotten stuck after downloading some updates. To resolve the problem, you need to disable your Internet connection. Simply unplug the Ethernet cable from your computer or switch off your wireless router. Once you’ve disabled your network, you will be able to complete the factory reset.
After all the above-tried methods to reset if still there is a problem then it is better to reinstall your windows whether it is 7 or 10. But, before going with the process you need to ensure that you have backup all the important files so that you won’t lose any of them.
There are many issues why we do this factory reset but sometimes the issue doesn’t solve when we do this then you need to go into the depth of the problem as this could be a major issue later.