Todays’ topic is based on error 42015. So, let’s have a look at the causes, symptoms and also steps to fix TurboTax error 42015.
Turbo Tax works online and needs a stable internet connection if users want to file their taxes online. TurboTax Error 42015 is an update error that usually occurs whenever the specified proxy server is not valid. The error also occurs whenever the software could not connect using the proxy server. Users will be alerted to the error with a message that reads “Error 42015: The proxy name could not be resolved: HTTP”.
Causes of Turbotax Error 42015
- Corrupt download or incomplete installation of TurboTax software.
- Corruption in the Windows registry from a recent TurboTax-related software change (install or uninstall).
- Virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files or TurboTax-related program files.
- Another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted TurboTax-related files.
Runtime Errors such as “Error 42015” can be caused by a variety of factors, so it is important that you troubleshoot each of the possible causes to prevent it from recurring.
This error occurs if the specified proxy server is invalid or TurboTax is unable to connect using the proxy server.
- Open Control Panel and select Internet Options.
- Select the Connections tab and then the LAN Settings button.
- Clear the Use a proxy server for your LAN checkbox and select OK twice.
- Update TurboTax again.
If you’re still having update problems or can’t connect to the Internet after making the above change, repeat these steps, except this time check the box in step 3. Then download a manual update.
Solution 1: Disabling the Use of Proxy Server
This is an official solution by the TurboTax forum moderators and it has seemed to help plenty of people who were struggling with the same issue. Using proxy servers can generally be quite useful but the problem is that plenty of programs actually fail to work together when your Internet connection is tunneled through a proxy or a VPN.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the gear icon in the top right corner and open Internet Options.
- Navigate to the Connections tab and open LAN Settings.
- Locate the “Use a proxy server for your LAN” option and uncheck the box next to it.
- Apply these changes and try updating your PC.
Disabled the Internet Explorer
Alternative: If you have disabled the Internet Explorer or if you uninstalled it because you were not using it, you can disable the same setting simply from within the Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel by searching for it in the Start menu or by using the search button located at the taskbar
- Use the View by Category option and click on Network and Internet. Section. When the new window opens, locate the Internet options section and click on it.
- Navigate to the Connections tab and click on the LAN Settings button located at the bottom of the page.
- At the bottom of the page, you should be able to see the “Use a proxy server for your LAN checkbox” option so make sure you uncheck the box next to it and click OK until you Apply all changes.
Solution 2: Download the Update Manually
The problem does not necessarily have to have something to do simply with your computer. The problem may also be with the servers used to download the update as no servers are perfect. If your Internet connection is working perfectly for other purposes, there may be some problems on the other end so you might need to download the update manually.
- Make sure you close TurboTax and other programs that may be running beside your browser which you will use to download the update.
- Download the manual update file from the link and make sure you choose the correct year. You will probably use the 2017 file located at the top of the page.
- Save the file from the link you visit your PC and open it after it has finished downloading in order to start the updating process.
- Follow the instructions on-screen in order to proceed with the update. The software should now be properly updated without the need for an automatic update.
How to resolve Turbotax Error 42015?
If you have encountered this error message while attempting to update TurboTax you can follow the steps given below to fix the problem:
- Go to the Windows menu and open the Control Panel
- Look for the Internet Options and click the ‘Connections’ tab
- Open the LAN Settings
- Clear the option that reads “Use a proxy server for your LAN” checkbox
- Restart your computer and update Turbo Tax
- Try updating Turbo Tax again.
So, these were the methods related to fixing the issue of error 42015.