Todays’ article is based on the topic of brother printer not printing black. So, first of all, we will discuss the cause of the brother printer not printing.
Causes of brother printer not printing are as follows:
- CISS Systems – CISS could be the main cause behind your problem as it makes the printhead to be clogged.
- Using a Low Ink Level Cartridge – When the Brother printer warns you that the level of ink is low, it is the time to replace or fill the ink cartridges. You must not run the printer for a long time when the ink is near empty. This may result in the air inside the print nozzles and which may damage the printhead. To prevent your printer to not print when you most needed it, fill the ink cartridges when it is less.
- Using the Appalling Ink – The ink you are using must be compatible with the Brother printer. The low-quality ink can not only provide you with bad quality printing but also damage your printer. The low-quality ink usually gets dry inside the paper. That is why it is advised to use the remarkable quality ink cartridges that should be used in the Brother printer for amazing results.
- Check Breather’s Tape – This is what we called a silly mistake done by most of the users. If you forget to remove the tape then there are 100% chances that you will face the Brother printer won’t print black issue.
Preventing the “Brother printer won’t print black problem
We believe that prevention is better than cure so please try to abide by the following suggestions and avoid problems from occurring.
- Print regularly
- Use only high-quality generic cartridges
- Make sure that the printer isn’t in a hot position
Step 1: Troubleshooting Steps to Fix Brother Printer Issue
- Before performing the troubleshooting steps save all your data and turn off your brother printer. Then remove the cable from the brother power source and take out the USB cable from the printer.
- Navigate to the Brother printer display screen and print a Quality Diagnostic Report to help you recognize print quality issues.
- Remember to check the printer ink levels and the ink volume in your cartridges. If the ink cartridges are near empty then fill it soo that it meets the required standards.
Step 2: Check the Brother Printer Ink Cartridges
- First of all, remove and replace the ink cartridges if the ink is less or empty.
- Go to the Brother manual to check if the ink cartridges are properly installed.
- You must carefully take out the tape over the vent of the recently installed cartridge.
- Make sure that the vents of the cartridges are not clogged.
- In case there is a clog using a pin to clean up the vents.
- In case this doesn’t work then you can use different ink cartridges to see your Brother printer can detect it.
Step 3: Check Print Head
If your Brother printer is persisting black ink issue even after you have replaced it with new ink cartridges then check the printheads. If needed you should replace the printheads as well.
In case if Brother printer not printing double-sided then do the following steps:
- Click print to start your printing task.
- When the print settings window opens, set your printer to print only odd pages, starting with the first page.
- Click “OK” to begin the printing process.
Wait for your printer to finish printing all of the odd pages. Notice whether your printer prints pages face up or face down. The Brother MFC 495CW should print pages face up.
- Place the odd-numbered printed pages back into your printer’s supply tray.
- Load the one-sided printed pages into the printer’s supply tray so that the blank side is facing downward. The top edge of the printed pages should be oriented closest to the back of the printer. Furthermore, you want to make sure that the pages are ordered numerically with the first page at the top of the stack.
- Press “Print.” When your printing settings window opens, set your printer to print only even pages, starting with the second page.
- Click “OK” to begin the printing process.
- Open the printers folder.
- Right-click on the Brother machine and left-click on Printing Preferences.
- Verify that the driver has an Advanced tab or Support button.
- If the driver has the Advanced tab or Support button, then the Brother Original Driver has been fully installed. Click OK to close the dialog box.
- If the driver is missing these options or looks like the screenshot below, then the Brother Original driver has not been installed. Click OK to close the dialog box.
- You’re using a built-in or generic printer driver. It does not have the full capabilities of the Brother Original driver, maybe missing options supported by the Brother machine, and may print slower.
To Uninstall the Generic Driver and Install the Brother Original Driver, do the following:
- Right-click on the Brother printer driver and left-click on Delete or Remove Device.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the driver.
- Reinstall the Brother Original Driver, which can be downloaded
For Macintosh Users:
- From the Apple menu or in the Dock, select System Preferences.
- Under “Hardware” click the Printers & Scanners icon (Maybe Print & Scan or Print & Fax depending on your operating system).
- Click on the Brother printer in the list.
- Make sure that the “Kind” listed is a Brother CUPS driver.
For Airprint follow the below steps:
- You’re using a built-in or generic printer driver. It does not have the full capabilities of the Brother CUPS driver, maybe missing options supported by the Brother machine, and may print slower.
- To delete the generic driver, highlight it and click – (minus).
So, these were the steps and methods to solve the issue of brother printer not printing black as well as double-sided.