Introduction to Bottled and Jarred Packaging
Advent of bottled and jarred packaged goods has eased our lives. It had benefited in carrying goods from one place to another easily and efficiently. Despite this it had a vital role in the pandemic period. In the past few years demand for packaged goods increased vigorously. Many types of containers are used for packing food items for a long time. Two major types of food packaging are bottles and jars. The glass packaging of food items is to preserve food from spoilage. Food packaging has been practiced from ancient times. When food and fluids were stored and preserved in glass jars and bottles.
Unlike olden times different technology of bottles are used and glass are now replaced with cans, foil, plastic wraps and others. There are different merits for different types of unique packaging. Food packaging system is also modernized with the modern age. However, they still have the same role to keep food clean, hygienic, save and secure it from spoilage. Canisters, glass containers, plastic trays, coils are some types of food containers to store food. Most supermarkets sell these bottled and jarred packaged goods. These offer vast advantages to retailers as well as consumers. The demand of these goods is increasing day by day, from past few years or from post-pandemic years. However, there are some limitations of these Bottled and Jarred Packaged Goods.
In this article you will read about types of bottled and jarred packaged goods, safety measures; privilege and limitations of its use.
Types of Bottled and Jarred Packaged Goods
Jars are cylindrical in shape with a broad mouth opening and lid, whereas bottles have narrow necks. The goal of each type of packaged goods is to safeguard the food items. Some other type of package containers is enlisted below:
- Aluminum Containers-
The packaging materials could be recycled, low in cost, increase life of food material by keeping it safe from spoilage and has ease production. These are used to store liquid and pre-cooked meals.
- Wooden packaging–
This is used since ancient period to store food items, beverages, meal, liquid, oil, beer, pickle and others. It does not harm the environment, keeps the food fresh and flavored.
- Glass containers–
These containers are environment friendly, could be reused, quite expensive as compared to other containers, it is a gas tight (air-tight) jar.
- Metal containers–
It keeps food items safe due to its hermetic closing cap. Which restricts air and water to enter and spoil the item.
- Cardboard packaging–
This type of food packaging is used to keep dry fruit, fruit, nuts, and frozen food. But it is not a good choice to store cooked meals as moisture; water; air could enter it quickly and spoil the food.
- Plastic bottles –
These containers are easy to carry and light weight, could be carved into different shapes and sizes, but they are non-biodegradable. It absorbs taste and scents of food as it absorbs heat.
Privilege of using Bottle and Jarred Packaged goods
There are several advantages or privileges of using bottled and jarred packaged goods, some of these are enlisted below:
- Packed foods could be eaten anytime and anywhere
- They are easy to handle and transport.
- Saves time and effort to prepare and cook food.
- Life span of certain food products or goods could be increased; the food would last for more time as compared to un-stored food. It prevents food from spoilage, in taste, smell and color.
- That helps in safe transportation and storing a variety of meals, drinks and liquid.
- Also, keeps food protected from airborne pollutants and germs. Prevent food from getting affected from germs and us from food poisoning.
- Packaging leads to food hygiene at any place (home, supermarket, industries and others), recycled plastic for food packages are ensured to be clean and hygienic, to prevent food material from exposure to airborne pollutants and germs.
- It helps to increase sales in business class; packed goods are more reliable and eye-catching from outside and safe from inside.
- Packages are recyclable, durable and easy to clean
Limitations of using Bottle and Jarred products Packaged goods
After knowing the benefits or privileges of bottle and jarred packaged goods; look over limitations or disadvantages of this type of goods packaging. The negative points or drawbacks of bottle and jarred packaged goods are enlisted below:
- Food packaging generates a large amount of trash. About 20% of landfills are accounted for with food packaging waste.
- Packed foods are costly as compared to unpacked ones, as preservatives and packaging costs are additive to it.
- Packed food has a bad effect on health, it may cause hazardous health diseases, May cause allergies, and affect the lungs and heart.
- Chemical preservatives and artificial colors and flavors may worsen the taste and destroy the nutrient of the food item.
- Packaged food may weaken the immune systems; some preservatives may be unsuitable for most of the people.
Safety measures to use “Bottle and Jarred Products” Packaged goods
Some measures must be taken for food packaging. Rules are set for packaging goods and save consumers from chemical and microbiological contamination.
- Manufacturers have to make sure that the package is sanitized and washed properly.
- Workers have to take proper personal hygiene while packaging.
- It is also made sure if it is properly sealed to protect it from air and moisture.
- Bottles and jars must have the correct nutrient label on it. As different people have allergies with some nuts and others; they rely on these labels as reference.
Foods that are stored in airtight containers are known as bottle and jarred Products goods. Microorganisms that flourish in moist settings with the correct temperature induce food spoilage. Bottled goods are economically hygienic products that have been treated to kill bacteria. Jarred foods are also economically clean, but they don’t need to be cooked or processed before eating. Hot meals, oiled food, must not be stored in plastic containers as it has a risk of spoil, it must be stored safely in foil containers, cane, metal containers and others.