Today there are several antiviruses available on the market that allow you to protect your Windows PC or notebook from viruses, malware and so on. One of the most famous is surely Avira. However, Some users have found, that an error message often appears which may vary in the text but which always contains the 500 code. In this article, we have decided to group all possible solutions to solve the problem of the Avira antivirus Error 500.
Select the Modify Option to Add Components
Several people have confirmed that they have corrected error 500 in Avira by carrying out software maintenance. This allows you to configure the installation of the antivirus. You can open the program maintenance tool and access the Edit option like this:
- Click Start that you find at the bottom left and then the gear icon to access the settings of Windows 10.
- Once this is done, click on the App and locate the Avira antivirus.
- Left-click on it and choose Edit. The maintenance window will automatically open.
- After that, press on Edit and then on Next.
- In the screen that appears, select all the checkboxes of the Avira antivirus components and click on Next.
- Complete the entire procedure by restarting Windows.
Perform a Registry Scan with CCleaner
The error 500 on Avira may appear because there are entries in the system registry invalid or corrupted. To solve this, just use a reliable utility to clean the registry in order to restore the correct functioning of the popular antivirus. CCleaner is among the most valid options to do this as it works in a simple way and above all it is free software.
Let’s see how to use it:
- First of all, you need to download CCleaner from the official website by clicking on the CCleaner.com link under the Free column.
- Once the download and installation are complete, start the program and click on the Registry tab in the left menu.
- At this point, you need to check all the boxes to check the registry. Click on Scan to start the procedure.
- After CCleaner has completed the process, press on Fix selected problems to repair the registry. If you want, the software also allows you to make a backup of the registry before making the correction in order to restore it in case of problems.
- Complete the operation by pressing on Fix all selected problems.
Reinstall Avira Antivirus
If you still cannot resolve the Avira error 500, we recommend that you reinstall the program to replace the registry entries and files. In addition to this, reinstallation allows you to update it to the latest version.
Here is the procedure to carry out:
- Proceed with the removal of Avira antivirus by pressing first on Start and then on the gear icon to access the Settings.
- From here choose Apps and locate Avira which should be among the first results.
- Uninstallation can be done by clicking once on the program name and then choosing Uninstall.
- Before reinstalling, we recommend that you restart your computer.
- Once the restart is complete, open the default browser and connect to the appropriate page to download Avira Free Antivirus 2018 by clicking on Free download.
- After completing the download and subsequent installation, restart your PC to complete the entire operation.
Check for Software Conflicts
The conflict between programs can also be the cause of the Avira 500 error. In this case, you need to check for software that can conflict with the antivirus by disabling it from automatically starting the first time you log on to Windows.
Let’s see how to do it together:
- Right-click on the taskbar and choose Task Manager from the menu that appears.
- From the window that opens, click on More details found at the bottom left and then on the Start tab.
- Proceed with the removal of the programs at system startup by selecting them with a left-click and choose Disable at the bottom right.
- After completing the operation, restart your computer and check if the error 500 message still appears by opening Avira antivirus.
The last thing to solve the problem is to bring Windows to a previous point. To do this, you can rely on the Restore tool to remove the recently installed software (s) that may conflict with Avira antivirus.
Let’s see the steps to follow:
- Open System Restore by right-clicking on Start and choosing Run. Alternatively, open the window using the Win + R key combination.
- In the empty field, type rstrui and click OK or enter by using the keyboard.
- From the window that appears, click on Next and tick the Show additional restore points box to get a complete list of those available.
- At this point, choose the restore point you prefer to bring Windows back to a time when the 500 error message did not appear in Avira antivirus.
- Proceed with the operation by pressing Next and then on Finish to restore Windows to the chosen point.