Today’s topic is relevant to the file explorer not responding on Windows 10 and the ways of fixing it. So, let’s fix the problem. So, moving on the file explorer definition first. File Explorer is the tool that you use to browse the files saved on the hard drive on Windows 10 OS.
12 Ways to Fix File Explorer Not Responding Windows 10
Way1: Change display settings
- Follow the path: Start button > Settings > System.
- On the Display panel, change the size of your text to 100%, 125%, 200%, etc. Don’t set it to 175% thought, 175% is reported to be the cause of this problem.
Check to see if you can access to File Explorer now. If you are stilling having the problem, then follow the next way to fix file explorer has stopped working windows 10.
Way2: Check for Possible Faulty Programs
Some say that it is the antivirus program AVG that triggered this error. Once shut down from Task Manager, File Explorer is back.
You should do the same as well. Check to see if there is something unusual happen when you lost access to File Explorer. For example, see if you can spot icon disappearance or situation similar to this. If this will not help you then follow the next method to fix file explorer not working on windows 10.
Way3: Restart Task Manager
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to start Task Manager. Then locate Windows Explorer.
- Right-click Windows Explorer and choose End task.
- On top of the Task Manager window, click File option and choose Run new task.
- Type explorer.exe in the box and then hit Enter.
Way4: Clear History & Cache – Create New Path
- Right-click the File Explorer icon on the taskbar, then choose Unpin from the taskbar.
- On your keyboard, press Windows key and X at the same time, then select File Explorer from the list.
- Right-click the Quick Access link and select Options.
- Under the General tab, choose Clear under the Privacy category. This will help you clear the File Explorer history.
- Right-click on the blank spot on the desktop and choose New > Shortcut.
- Then type in the following address: C:\Windows\explorer.exe and click Next.
- Rename the file to File Explorer and click Finish.
- Right-click the newly created shot cut and choose Pin to taskbar.
This should help you fix the problem. If you still have the problem, follow the next step to fix the file explorer not responding on Windows 10.
Way5: Disable Windows Search
- Type cmd.exe in the search box. From the list of choices.
- Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Click Yes at the UAC window prompt.
- In the Command Prompt window, type in the following command:
Net.exe stop “Windows search. Then hit Enter.
If you would like to stop Windows search permanently, please do the following:
- Press Windows key + R at the same time, and type in services.msc.
- Locate Windows Search option, double click it to enter its Properties window.
- Change the Startup type to Disabled. Then click OK to save the change.
Way6: Install Windows Updates
Windows releases a lot of patches and updates for addressing the common bugs and vulnerabilities. These updates fix a lot of issues. Sometimes, installing them on your computer can also resolve past issues.
Press Windows key+I shortcut to launch Settings and click on Update & Security.
Under the Windows Update tab, you will see any pending updates waiting to be downloaded or installed. Install and reboot your PC to check if File Explorer is working again.
Way7: Free up Memory Storage on your PC
If the above methods don’t work for you and the File Explorer app still not working, you can try out one more method to resolve the issue by freeing up some memory in your system.
Remove temporary files from your system and it will clear all the temporary stored files from the system.
Open Settings >> System >> Storage >> Free Up Space now link.
From here, you need to select the files which you want to remove from the folder. The system will show you a list of all the temporary stored files including the junk files and folder. All these files are useless and you can simply remove them at once. Select all the files and click the Delete button.
You can also select the Remove Files button and select the types of files to delete from the list.
Way8: Restart Windows Explorer
Whenever you open a folder, a process called Windows Explorer is launched which runs in the background. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys on the keyboard to launch the Task Manager. Find Windows Explorer under Processes, right-click on it and select Restart.
What happens if you can’t see Windows Explorer in the Task Manager? Then you will have to start it manually. To do so, click on File and select Run new task.
Type Explorer in the given field and hit OK to launch Windows Explorer. Select Create this task with administrative privileges to start it with admin rights.
Way9: Update Video Driver
Drivers are usually a set of files that allow hardware or software to connect and communicate with the operating system. They play a vital role in the functioning of your Windows computer and may be responsible for the File Explorer not responding error.
Here are links to popular computer manufacturers’ sites where you can download them.
I suggest rebooting your computer once after the drivers are installed before checking if File Explorer is working or not.
Way10: Fix File Explorer Not Responding Windows 10
Windows 10 comes with a troubleshot option inside System Maintenance to solve common errors and bugs in the system. To run it, launch Control Panel and search for Troubleshooting. Inside you will click on System Maintenance. Once a new window pops open, click on Next to initiate a run. Follow the on-screen instructions in case it detects an error.
Way11: SFC AND DISM Scan
SFC will check your system files for any irregularities and corruption and repair them if possible without you having to do anything else. DISM command will service and repair Windows image files. Don’t get it, You don’t have to. Just right-click on the Start button and select either Command Prompt or PowerShell with Admin written in a bracket.
Now type the below commands one at a time and hit Enter to run them.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Recheck if File Explorer is working again.
Way12: Create a new User Account
Create a new user account on your Windows 10 PC. Once created, check if the File Explorer app works as expected. If the File Explorer works for your system, kindly copy all the useful files from your old account to a new account. You have to install useful applications in your new User Account.
So, these were the methods and steps to fix the issue of file explorer not responding on Windows 10.
Frequently Asked Question:
is your file explorer stopped working on windows 10? Then follow the steps given on the blog to fix it. If you are not a technical person then you can call Dial customer care (Toll-Free).